Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Summer Solstice

I had the honor of performing at the Earth House Summer Solstice Gathering in Wisconsin. More info a http://karitauring.com/June05.htm. It never ceases to amaze me, when I do the traditional Nordic material, how many people have genetic memory reactions. Every time I sing "Rida Ranka" someone comes up and says "oh my mother used to sing that" or "my grandpa would let us ride his crossed leg like a horse when he sang that song" or "wow...I feel I know this from somewhere." It's the same when I sing or say the Norwegian table prayer - I Jesu Navn. It was no different at this gathering.

And the Staving! Wow. You know, every culture has a roots rythm. In the Nordic Tradition of women's shammanism we used herding sticks to pound out the rythm of our souls. I loved watching the Earth House participants really cutting loose on the stavs!!

It was magikal for everyone and I would reccomend folks check it out for next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home