Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Weight of Oppression/the Joy of Abundance

The Weight of Oppression Fell on me today.

The subtle opression of capitalism...What do I mean?

The way a capitalist society creates needs for the population which are based on product and control the options available to the individual citizen in order to advance sales of product.

My example:
I do not have a cell phone. My long distance bill from +++ is small if I do not make a long distance call. Last month I phoned my mother in law in Tennessee. She picked up and called me right back on her cell phone which has unlimited long distance. It was less than a minute and it cost nearly $7.

My Options:
A. Get a Cell Phone

B. Pay insane rates

C. Use email

D. Shop around for a better phone company.

I eliminate option D because I do not pay the regular phone bill and it is satisfactory to the policy holder.
B always makes me feel ripped off and abused.

A is not great because right now I personally get free local and internet access. A cell phone is an expense that would incur un-necessary monthly debt.

C is tough because my TN relatives have super slow internet access up in the mountains and also there is no way to really express myself to my sisters without my voice...Not really.

Question:
Why is long distance so expensive on a land line now? It didn't use to be. What is the reason? That call should have cost me .50 or a dollar at the most! For less than a minute?

Answers:

These need to come from the telephone company I suppose. I suppose they will try to sell me on a cell phone because I think that's the biggest share of their market.

I feel cheated, coerced and sad.

I feel like I really don't have options but to buy up, spend more...Participate in capitalism gone extreme like a good consumer, I mean, citizen.

Wow - I have a phone and a computer and hot running water right into my own house that only has my mate and two kids and me in it and there are no bombs going off in my kids school and my kids get to go to school and I am the luckiest woman in the world. And I guess I will have to talk to you when I see you or when you call me. And I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home