Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Finding my Muse - Again

So, what is a muse anyhow?

The word comes from Greek mythology. They were the 9 daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne. They help to inspire artists, musicians, scientists etc. In Celtic myth, the muse of poets would be the goddess Brigid. A muse is someone or something outside of oneself that inspires them to do certain creative work.

My latest muse? John Faeth. He was a great bass player in the later days of Rose Absolute and the early days of Thorn (two of my first bands). He seemed always to sense a great work was about to come out of me. He encouraged, nurtured, provided resources and direction.

While compiling my discography for my site I was wondering what he was up to. So I Googled his name and what do you think, he works for the University of St. Thomas, my alma mater, right accross the river from where I live! So I emailed him and we had a great reunion lunch. I was telling him about all the performance art and music I am doing. Once again, he senses what I could do and provides me with resources and focus to get these things accomplished in a fraction of the time it would take to do it on my own.

Well, on account of John Faeth, you can hear songs from these old band projects and you can now purchase a copy of the 1998 release "Faith in Me" once only available on Mp3.com. And soon you will be able to see and hear my latest work with Huldre as we plunge into a video project together!

So, that's a muse to me. An energy outside myself that inspires me to create more art more deeply than I would ever be able to do on my own.

Thanks, Johnny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home