Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Monday, December 19, 2005

So near the Solstice

So near the Solstice (Yuletide December 20 - Jan 6), my mother and I, at her round kitchen/hearth table reading old cook books last night after the carrolling concert at Peace Lutheran Church of Plymouth. It was lovely. And today! Read the Monday Huldreblog!

Norwegians clean their homes spotlessly before the rays of Solstice or Christmas hit. They bake and clean, practice their instruments, wrap gifts for their friends and family, bless them all.

This we read in the tourism guide, I think. Bibliography possible later.

I am half Norwegian on my mother's side so I like cleaning quite a lot. I like the ritual of clearing my home for the health of the children and the elderly. I like to see my 8 year old son wash china in the golden rays of the low winter sun. He notices how it gleams. And how when I wipe it, it squeaks.

Publicity for the 7 th Annual Discovering Origins/Building Traditions Project has been word of mouth and internet mostly. The press have listed the event but wow, there are just so many events!

Relaxing into the Yule season we have happily smoked the Trout, merrily we are cleaning the house, lovingly I am composing and rehearsing my songs. Songs of loneliness and dispairing in the darkness. Songs of the sign, a golden rainbow in the sky, the full belly of the Earth and the generocity of the South Pole...bringing us the sun back again.

I thank you and I am blessed. See you all a-wassiling on Thursday or on-line at KFAI on Christmas Day Eve!!!

Love,
Kari

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home