Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Midwest Shamanic Gathering

As a staff carrier, I have been called to travel quite a lot. 2009 has been especially busy with trips to Chicago, Norway, New York, and all around the Midwest. In the old tradition of staff carrier, the Volva (old Norse) was not attached to a specific community in which she would live and work. Rather, she had several communities that she would visit in a circuit throughout the year. Sometimes she would travel quite far to do her work and to meet with colleagues in order to learn more, sharpen her skills etc.

This suites me well as I am not inclined to join groups such as churches, seeker communities, or political, intentional communities. I enjoy coming into a community as an outside perspective, detached from the politics and intricacies of the group. I can bring a fresh perspective to view the wyrd of the group dynamic, make recommendations and do readings or healings for the group and individuals in the group. I can strengthen the work of the resident spiritual leader of the group with some new tools learned abroad or by simply providing a colleague to learn from and to teach to (no better way to learn than to teach).

But to say I don't have a community of my own is not true. I was home most of August and neighbors stopped by to say hello, tell me how much they missed me this Summer, and ask about my adventures. I know that my six block radius is affected by me, absent or present, working and playing and talking and gardening...they miss me when I am gone.

So I am off again to the Midwest Shamanic Gathering to contribute to and learn from a dynamic and intentional community of spiritual workers. Then I will bring it back home to my six block radius where living spiritually affects everyone around me.

I am truly blessed!
K

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home