Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Thing travels - June and July 2010

The summer thing-tour started with Troth Moot at Hinkley, then Swedish Festival in Cambridge, then Viking Village at Hjemkomst Center, and now for family time.

The three gigs were pretty amazing. Different, yet equally as profound. It was a great joy to sing and do workshops for the Troth. Volkshof kindred hosted and they really know my skills and talents so it was easy to be my best for them! Teaching and creating Pageantry with Heathen-raised children is a true joy. The have many threads of learning and experiencing the myths already alive in them. The Jotun's Bane children were voracious, like their parents, eager to learn and grow. There were smart and good children from all over the place! I look forward to seeing them at future gatherings and teaching them more stories, songs, and dances.

Then at Cambridge Swedish Lutheran Church I was able to share my mission with some of my most favorite and dear to my heart people...Elders in the Scandinavian Lutheran community. There are women and men in their 60's and 70's who have an amazing depth. Their folk soul was kept alive through strong traditions passed from parents and grandparents new to this land. In the words of one student, a 76 year old retired pastor and amazing woman, "your work is re-connecting us to nature, to our eldest ancestors, and it's an important mission you are on." There were many tears of joy to share as we soaked up our deep root traditions through the message of the volva kona.

Viking Village - the Hjemkomst Center is a place dedicated to preserving and expressing the folk soul. Sharing the volva kona from the Bronze Age to the Immigrant Era was like putting honey over butter on really warm bread. Hjemkomst means home coming. They have somehow grown a vortex of home-coming energy. All my various blood seems to vibrate at this special place. Deeply Scandinavian and truly native to this place, there is a blend of here and now, then and there, us and them making we...an amazing example of community flowing.

Now, I am dedicating the next few weeks to my own family. My parents will celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary and my sisters and our families will camp and play music and take walks on our ancestral farm land in Wisconsin. This will rejuvenate me so that the next leg of my Summer volva travels will be fresh and amazing.
Enjoy your summer journeys!

Best,

Kari

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home