Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Mannaz

The Shape of Mannaz is:
Gift , the x, bracketed by the specific bounds of ice, straight lines like stilts holding gifu high. Ice holds gifting within the boundaries of a specific community or tribe. This free will economy and the rituals of gifting is what creates specific community relationships. This is Mannheim.

The products of this system of gifting economy in my family are: Recipies passed from parents to children and cousins to one another. My mother's rice pudding, my fathers Spekkugen, the Lefse making are examples of Manneheim in action. Bowls, the footed bowl that the rice pudding is traditionally served in, the jelly roll pans that bake the Spekkugen best, the griddle my grandmother left behind, these are also products of Manneheim in action.

Seed Savers is a Farm and Institution in Decorah, Iowa whose mission is to save and reproduce heirloom seeds. This sanctuary is a huge example of Manneheim. People from around the world find seed varieties and freely send them to Decorah where they are grown, multiplied, and sent to others to grow. Here humans are gifting one another and supporting an economy for many in the community.

The most important thing about Mannaz as a rune is to ask yourself: How do I fit into my community? What is my gift and how can I best apply it to the total economy of my tribe where it will surely come back around in support of me?

I like this rune a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home