Kari’s Voluspa

Things that concern the health of our Folk Soul,our Human Soul, and our Planetary Soul.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am a Völva. Völva is Old Norse for “staff carrier,” the traveling spiritual guide learned in the ways of my European/Scandinavian Folk Soul. Like Thorbjorg from Eric the Red’s Saga, I am invited into communities to lead ceremony, share information, impart wisdom, and perpetuate the folk ways through song, story, and dance. I heal oorlag at it's source and read wyrd for individuals and groups.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Dia de los Muertos Rune Pull

In this time of ancestor passings I like to pull a rune for general lessons I may be needing to learn before the ghosts are gone.

I sat down at the wood stove and shook my bag of maple runes. I noticed a lot of dust come from it. I kept patting and shaking it and the dust billowed into the rays of mid morning sun. I snorted out my nose and mouth to clear a place for me to breathe. Wow. I wonder when the last time I used this set was!?

When I opened the bag, the first rune I saw was Othel, the last rune of the 24 letter FUTHARK alphabet. It means roots, homeland, family and tribal karma, returning your bones to the land of your birth.

But the rune that came out in my hand was Beorc, Birch.

Birch is the bond that binds me to this place in Minnesota. It is the bark that binds me to my ancestors in Norway. The Lur calls to me, the oil ignites with the slightest spark.
It is the birth of me and the death of me. As birch is used to carry coals in the wintertime, so is it used to pre-sage the spring. The sugar maples and the birch and the oak and the willow are such a part of my heritage in this life and through my ancestory.

Perhaps I will be buried afloat a flaming canoe of birch...my goddess rocks surrounding me...in a summer mini skirt like the Iron Age Danes who were my ancestors when they lived in the Baltic Region.

My eldest son knows how to bury me. He discussed it with me after saying bed time prayers one night. He guessed at what I would want. And he was right! Boy I raised a good son.

Anyhow. That's my personal rune pull for this, the Day of the Dead!

Tak fer alt,
RunaKari

PS If you want me to pull a rune for you for this day, email me at karitauring@yahoo.com
or go to my website karitauring.com and get my phone number and office hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home